The Dangers of Dog Collars.
While researching a subject of interest for our Holidays4Dogs website readers, I sadly came across an article today in the Metro about Rocco the Border Terrier, who was tragically found hanging by his collar from a door handle in the home.
Tributes have been flooding in to the border terrier owner’s page on Facebook. Many people have posted their condolences on-line together with pictures of their own pets, alongside collars which have been removed and the caption, ‘collars off for Rocco’.
According to a member of Rocco’s family, dog collars can pose hidden dangers that many of us rarely consider. Certainly, it is not something that I had ever thought would pose a possible hazard to my dogs.
However, there are numerous stories to be found of dogs finding themselves in similar situations.
Ordinary collars can and do become caught on furniture, door handles and other objects, causing injury and in some cases, death. The danger continues to the outdoors, where collars can become attached to gateposts so that, when the dog jumps down, there is severe danger of choking.
Collars and crates can also be a recipe for disaster. It has been known for dog tags to get trapped in the bars of the crate. Another potential way that collars can get caught is in air, or heating vents.
While you may think dog collar accidents are rare, incidents are on the rise. This may be because more dogs are left alone for longer periods while people work longer hours.
Tips to prevent dog collar accidents.
Breakaway collars – these collars are designed so that the clip opens under any pressure – so if the collar gets caught on any obstruction and the dog pulls, the clip will release. These collars are readily available in pet shops or on-line.
Harnesses – a good alternative is to attach the lead to a harness, (which can still display the details of your dog on a tag).
Avoid identity tags that dangle and may get caught; instead, opt for the type that inserts into the collar and lies flat or is embroidered directly onto the collar.
Just a few extra precautions can dramatically decrease the chances of your dog ever being the victim of a tragedy such as Rocco’s.
More on this tragic story…
The independent online reported this sad incident – Dog Owners remove their pets’ collars in tribute
www.Ladbible.com ‘Dog Owners Are Removing Their Pets’ Collars In Touching Tribute To Dead Dog‘
Dangers of Blind cords to Pets.
Having read about the tragic case of Rocco and talking around the Holidays4Dogs office we would also like to highlight the dangers of blind cords to pets – (as well as to children).
Safety advice for householders;
Examine each blind in your home. If they have a looped control chain, or cord, but do not have a safety device fitted – you can easily install one yourself.
One cheap option is to simply cut the cords off your blinds, so there is no longer a loop.
Ensure that all operating blind cords and chains cannot be reached by your dog. Simply tucking the cord loop away is not a safe option.
Consider trimming overly long cords.
Move pet beds and any furniture away from windows and blinds where pets can easily climb up.
When buying a new blind, always look for one that does not contain cords, has concealed cords or, has an in-built safety device that complies with the new European Standards.
Remember – All corded products are unsafe and require other safety measures to make them safer. Always ensure continuous cord loop products are installed properly.